BS Chemistry: Biochemistry
The Bachelor of Science in Chemistry with a concentration in Biochemistry prepares students to understand the scientific discovery process, while improving their ability to reason and critically analyze evidence and supporting information. Featured among our course offerings are many courses with intensive laboratories that utilize our equipment laboratory complete with FT-IR, UV-Vis, HPLC, GC-MS, Real-time PCR, FAAS, NMR, WaveNow potentiostat, and more. This program is popular with students who want to enter the healthcare field, attend professional school, or work in areas such as medical research or biochemistry/molecular biology.
Key Program Features
Learn the knowledge and skills to become a scientist and work in laboratory, go on to graduate school, enter professional programs in healthcare fields, or pursue related jobs
Work directly with Ph.D. faculty and get hands-on experience with modern laboratory instrumentation
Have the opportunity to participate in faculty-mentored research and present your work at regional or national scientific meetings
Students have the opportunity to engage in faculty-mentored research for a unique one-on-one learning experience that often culminates in presenting at regional or national conferences. Our students receive individual attention and access to faculty and instrumentation that is nearly impossible to find at larger universities.
Our Biochemistry program develops critical thinking and quantitative skills that are relevant to a wide range of careers. Our students develop practical skills and technical competencies required to become a scientist in areas such as healthcare, industry, and research, and develop a broad range of transferable skills that are sought after by potential employers.
- CHE 221 General Chemistry I
- CHE 222 General Chemistry II
- CHE 320 Analytical Chemistry
- CHE 331 Organic Chemistry I
- CHE 332 Organic Chemistry II
- CHE 420 Biochemistry
- CHE 421 Physical Chemistry I
- CHE 422 Physical Chemistry II
- CHE 431 Inorganic Chemistry
- MAT 255 Calculus I
- MAT 256 Calculus II
- PHY 331 University Physics I
- PHY 332 University Physics II
- CHE 420L Biochemistry I Lab
- CHE 425 Biochemistry II
- BIO 121 Principles of Biology
- BIO 120L Principles of Biology Lab
- BIO 245 Molecular Biology of the Cell
- BIO 255 Genetics
Choose 4SH from the following:
- CHE 315 Research Methods
- CHE 461 Senior Research & Seminar I
- CHE 462 Senior Research & Seminar II
- CHE 463 Senior Research & Seminar III
- CHE 470 Special Topics in Chemistry
- Medicine. Your biochemistry degree provides excellent preparation for the intellectual demands of the medical profession.
- Biotechnology. Some of the nation’s largest and most respected biotechnology companies employ biochemists in a wide range of specialties.
- Agriculture. Biochemists find employment with agricultural industry companies.
- Government. State and federal agencies employ biochemists in many fields.
- Analytical Chemist
- Biomedical Scientist
- Healthcare Scientist, Clinical Biochemistry
- Clinical Research Associate
- Forensic Scientist
- Research Scientist (Life Science)
- Scientific Laboratory Technician
- Genetic Counseling
- Genetic Engineering
- Pharmaceutical Sales
- Research Development
- Patent/Intellectual Property Consulting
- Product Development
- Laboratory Research
- Technical Writing