The Department of Fine Arts offers the Bachelor of Science in Music and Music Education. The B.S. in Music has concentrations in performance (emphases: vocal or instrumental) and Sacred Music.
Key Program Features
UMO provides multiple performance opportunities for both solo performers and ensembles.
Music facilities include multiple practice rooms, Mac Lab, Smart classroom, Piano Lab, and the historic Hazel Waters Kornegay Assembly Hall.
The Department of Fine Arts Music Division offers three instrumental ensembles (Symphonic Band, Jazz, Band, and Pep Band) and three Choral Ensembles (Concert Choir, Men’s Choir, Women’s Choir) open to all UMO students. Students are welcome to participate in both choral and instrumental ensembles.
- All music majors have the opportunity to take applied lessons on a secondary instrument or vocal lessons in addition to their primary instrument/voice.
- All music education majors are encouraged to participate in both vocal and instrumental ensembles in preparation for teaching both types of ensembles.
- All students taking applied lessons are provided time each week to work with a piano accompanist.
Scholarships are available for students who participate in music ensembles. Scholarships are granted based on audition for each ensemble. Scholarship recipients must meet mandated requirements for each ensemble to maintain scholarship eligibility.
Students with aptitude in music but who are pursuing another field of study for their major often choose to minor in music. The music minor equips students with the basics in applied skills, theory, and history.
- MUS 120 Music Theory I
- MUS 121 Music Theory II
- MUS 122 Sign Singing and Ear Training I
- MUS 123 Sign Singing and Ear Training II
- MUS 220 Music Theory III
- MUS 221 Music Theory IV
- MUS 260 Intro to Music Technology
- MUS 321 Forms and Analysis
- MUS 322 Conducting
- MUS 350 Music History I
- MUS 351 Music History II
- MUS (A-V) 135-335 Private Lessons
- Ensembles: MUS 140 or 142
- 130-330 Minor Instrument
Required Music Concentrations (9-17SH):
Choose one of the following areas
- Sacred: MUS 323, 360, 420, 450, 466, REL 322
- Vocal: MUS 235, 251, 370
- Instrument: MUS 377, MUS Electives
- Piano: MUS 371, MUS Elective