Quick Contact

State Authorizations and Consumer Disclosures


The United States Department of Education requires that every institution of higher education obtain authorization from each state in which it offers distance education opportunities. In August of 2017, the University of Mount Olive was approved by SARA-NC to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA). SARA is an agreement among member states, districts, and territories in the United States, which establishes national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. It is intended to standardize the process of offering online courses and programs by postsecondary institutions located in states other than the state in which the enrolled student(s) are residing.



Programs at UMO leading to professional licensure include Teacher Licensure program. For additional information about this program, please visit the website page using the link below or contact the Education Division Chair:

Teacher Licensure

Amanda Bullard-Maxwell, Ed.D.
Chair, Division of Education
634 Henderson St.
Mount Olive, NC  28365

Contact information for the Professional Licensing Boards per state can be found here.

NC-SARA does not deal with professional licensing board approval for any courses or programs leading to professional licensure. For more information about the professional licensure in your state, please contact the appropriate licensing agency or board in your state or territory.


The University of Mount Olive provides several means by which student complaints and grievances may be addressed. In all cases, students are advised to put their concerns in writing and carefully document the events that led to the complaint or grievance. To the extent possible, students should seek a resolution of such matters through the institution’s complaint procedure before involving others.

All students attending the University of Mount Olive, including students who reside outside the State of North Carolina, who desire to resolve a complaint, grievance, or concern, are encouraged to follow established procedures outlined in the University of Mount Olive Student Complaint Policy. This policy includes a chart of UMO representatives by office to provide students with the appropriate contact (p. 2) and a list of the complaint process procedure (p. 4).

If you are unsure about the appropriate point of contact you may consult with:

Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs
The Holmes and Lois Murphy Center
630 Henderson Street
Mount Olive, NC 28365
UMO Student Complaint Process Webpage



The University of Mount Olive is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).

Students have the opportunity to submit complaints to the SACSCOC, the University’s regional accrediting body. In most cases, SACSCOC complaint procedures require that the complainant exhaust all other avenues to address the complaint. Prior to filing a complaint, please review the SACSCOC Complaint Procedures Policy Statement.

The following links provide information on the SACSCOC complaint policy and process

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Telephone: 404-679-4500

SACSCOC Complaint Procedures
SACSCOC Complaint Form

For more information on the University of Mount Olive’s accreditation, please see the Accreditation page by clicking here.



If a grievance or complaint cannot be resolved through the University’s publicized process, students may file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice.  You can file a grievance online or by mail:

Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General’s Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001

Telephone for NC Residents: 877.566.7226
Telephone for Outside of NC: 919.716.6000
En Español: 919.716.0058



Students may also file a complaint with the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints Unit.

First, review the NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaint Policy (PDF), print out and complete the NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Form and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
Website: North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
Email: studentcomplaint@northcarolina.edu
Phone: (919) 962-1000



UMO is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement- North Carolina (SARA-NC) which is the portal for North Carolina. Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NC. Students should follow the SARA-NC Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complaint Form (PDF).

SARA-NC Contact Information:

SARA North Carolina
North Caroline State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Telephone: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
Telephone: (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667
Website: www.saranc.org
Email: information@saranc.org

If a student wishes to contact the state portal entities for his or her home state, contact information for state portal directors in each state can be found on the NC-SARA website. State by state contact information for agencies responsible for receiving student consumer complaints can be found online.