Are you interested in pursuing a degree in agribusiness? The University of Mount Olive is the only private college or university in North Carolina that offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Agribusiness. The Agribusiness degree program provides students with a balanced curriculum of business and agriculture. Agribusiness is a hands-on degree combining a student’s interest in agriculture with a real-world application in the food, fiber, and natural resources industries.
Key Program Features
Learn to create, follow and implement agricultural business plans
Develop relationships with Agribusiness professionals and determine a specific area of focus within agribusiness
Take part in hands-on learning through experiential learning opportunities using agricultural facilities to complement coursework
- Students will learn hands-on at UMO’s Kornegay Student Farm, applying learned principles in a real-world scenario.
- The foundation of agriculture content courses provide graduates with an understanding of the complexity and overall depth and breadth of agriculture that they can apply in agribusiness.
- Develop business and marketing plans for farms, ranches, and other agribusinesses.
- Communicate, both orally and written, factual information in a knowledgeable manner.
- Utilize financial statements to evaluate a business’s financial health.
- Evaluate how changes in a business environment will impact market outcomes.
- Conduct and use benefit-cost analysis to evaluate the profitability of business decisions.
- Plan and carry out a research project.
An internship experience for course credit is required by each Agribusiness student, and additional internship opportunities are encouraged to help students find their passion. Leading agribusiness companies and organizations offer internships that may be completed over the summer or during the semester. Many students are offered full-time employment with a company as a result of their internship experience.
UMO Students have completed internships with:
- Farm Credit Associations (Carolina Farm Credit)
- Livestock Integrators (Butterball, Case Farms, Goldsboro Milling, Prestage Farms, Sanderson Farms, Smithfield Foods, Tyson)
- Grain Processing (Southeastern Grain Company)
- Hog Slat
- Crop Protection Research and Sales (Coastal, Helena, Bayer)
- Collegiate FFA Scholarship
- Barbara Ross Kornegay Scholarship
- Lois G. Britt Scholarship
- Scott Family Scholarship