BS in Aviation and Business Management (Pilot Unmanned)
The Bachelor of Science in Aviation and Business Management (Pilot Unmanned)* program is offered by the Robert L. Tillman School of Business in partnership with the UMO Flight School. This degree prepares graduates with the knowledge and skills in business management strategies while training them in flight safety, government regulation, security, and various other practical areas of aviation. Courses, planned for fall 2021, will be available in both seated and online formats. In addition to tuition, students in the Pilot Unmanned program will be assessed fees associated with flight training in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS). UMO also offers a Pilot Manned degree.
Graduates of the Pilot Unmanned Aircraft Systems program will gain a remote pilot certification. By earning this certification along with a bachelor’s degree, graduates gain a unique competitive edge. The University of Mount Olive is the only private college in NC offering the combined aviation and business management programs.
*The University of Mount Olive will offer the Bachelor of Science in Aviation and Business Management Pilot Manned and Unmanned programs pending approval from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Key Program Features
Students will develop knowledge of theory and ability in practical applications in order to achieve the following competencies required for the following:
Operational aspects of radio systems and components, along with satellite and Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) equipment control
Proper use of flight controls required to maintain a non-eventful simulated or actual UAS flight as well as one requiring emergency corrections
Remote Pilot in Command duties and operations related to data collection
The FAA Remote Pilot Certificate
In addition, students will achieve a working knowledge of the following business “core” areas: Marketing, Business Finance, Accounting, Management, Legal Environment of Business, Economics, Business Ethics, Global Dimensions of Business, Information Management Systems, Business Leadership, Quantitative Techniques, and Strategic Management.
UMO is the only private college in NC offering this combination of aviation and business management in a Bachelor of Science program.
- Mechanical Aptitude
- Technologically Equipped
- Interest in Engineering
- Effective Leadership
- Ability to Solve Problems
- Time Management
Upon completion of the program, students will hold the FAA Remote Pilot Certificate.
Aviation Core: 32 SH
- AVN 109 Introduction to UAS
- AVN 110 Human Factors
- AVN 112 UAS Telemetry & Remote Sensing
- AVN 113 Aviation History
- AVN 114 Aviation Regulations
- AVN 150 Private Pilot Flight Theory
- AVN 152 Remote Pilot Certification UAS
- AVN 201 Flight UAS Aerial Analysis (Lab)
- AVN 205 Flight Safety
- AVN 216 Aircraft Systems
- AVN 240 Flight UAS Agricultural Survey I (Lab)
- AVN 241 Flight UAS Agricultural Survey II (Lab)
- AVN 270 Commercial Pilot Flight Theory
Business Core: 42 SH
- ACC 211 Principles of Financial Accounting
- HRM 322 Human Capital Management
- MIS 331 E-Business/E-Commerce
- MGT 311 Fundamentals of Management
- MKT 351 Fundamentals of Marketing
- MGT 316 Organizational Behavior
- BUS 302 Statistics for Behavioral Sciences
- BUS 201 Business Law
- FIN 320 Corporation Finance
- MGT 385 Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management
- ECO 301 Applied Economics for Managers
- BUS 416 Government Regulations, the Law and Ethics in Business
- ECO 345 Operations and Supply Chain Management
- BUS 410 Business Policy and Strategy