BS Biology: Biotechnology
The Bachelor of Science in Biology with a concentration in Biotechnology provides students with a strong background in laboratory science and prepares them for entry in to the biotechnology job market and/or graduate school.
Key Program Features
Communicate science to peers and other professionals in the field of biotechnology
Learn to work as a team in a laboratory setting, managing time and projects effectively while following all safety and regulatory guidelines
Demonstrate the basic skills needed to be a successful scientist through the use of the scientific method as it applies to laboratory science
Develop an understanding of the basic fundamental concepts of biology as they apply to biotechnology, including genetics, molecular and cellular biology, organismal biology, ecology, evolution, and behavior
This program is unique because it provides a strong foundation in biology with the necessary lab skills in biotechnology to be competitive in today’s job market. Classes and labs are small enough to allow one-on-one time with the professor.
Students will learn basic skills in the laboratory sciences including: tissue culture, DNA extraction polymerase chain reaction, gel electrophoresis, western blotting, ELISA assays, molecular cloning, next generation sequencing, pipetting, making serial dilutions, and writing standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Medicine. Your biochemistry degree provides excellent preparation for the intellectual demands of the medical profession.
- Biotechnology. Some of the nation’s largest and most respected biotechnology companies employ biochemists in a wide range of specialties.
- Agriculture. Biochemists find employment with agricultural industry companies.
- Government. State and federal agencies employ biochemists in many fields.
- Analytical chemist
- Biomedical scientist
- Healthcare scientist, clinical biochemistry
- Clinical research associate
- Forensic scientist
- Research scientist (Life Science)
- Scientific laboratory technician
- Genetic Counseling
- Genetic Engineering
- Graduate School
- Pharmaceutical Sales
- Research Development
- Patent/Intellectual Property Consulting
- Product Development
- Laboratory Research
- Technical Writing
- Veterinary School
Research Laboratory Technician
Clinical Research Associate
Microbiology Quality Control