BS Chemistry: Pre-Pharmacy
The Bachelor of Science in Chemistry with a concentration in Pre-Pharmacy prepares students to understand the scientific discovery process, while improving their ability to reason and critically analyze evidence and supporting information. Featured among our course offerings are many courses with intensive laboratories that utilize our equipment laboratory complete with FT-IR, UV-Vis, HPLC, GC-MS, Real-time PCR, FAAS, NMR, WaveNow potentiostat, and more. This program prepares students who are interested in furthering their studies in pharmacy school.
Key Program Features
Learn the knowledge and skills to become a scientist and work in laboratory, go on to graduate school, enter professional programs in healthcare fields, or pursue related jobs
Work directly with Ph.D. faculty and get hands-on experience with modern laboratory instrumentation
Have the opportunity to participate in faculty-mentored research and present your work at regional or national scientific meetings
Our Pre-Pharmacy program develops critical thinking and quantitative skills crucial for those in pharmaceuticals. Our students develop practical skills and technical competencies, and develop a broad range of transferable skills that are sought after by potential employers.
Recent graduates have attended pharmacy school at Campbell University, University of Colorado, and Notre Dame of Maryland University.
- CHE 221 General Chemistry I
- CHE 222 General Chemistry II
- CHE 320 Analytical Chemistry
- CHE 331 Organic Chemistry I
- CHE 332 Organic Chemistry II
- CHE 420 Biochemistry
- CHE 421 Physical Chemistry I
- CHE 422 Physical Chemistry II
- CHE 431 Inorganic Chemistry
- MAT 255 Calculus I
- MAT 256 Calculus II
- PHY 331 University Physics I
- PHY 332 University Physics II
Pre-Pharmacy Concentration (26 sh):
- BIO 120 Principles of Biology I
- BIO 120L Principles of Biology I Lab
- BIO 121 Principles of Biology II
- BIO 121 Principles of Biology II Lab
- BIO 251 Human Anatomy & Physiology I
- BIO 251L Human Anatomy & Physiology I Lab
- BIO 252 Human Anatomy & Physiology II
- BIO 252L Human Anatomy & Physiology II Lab
- BIO 350 Genetics
- BIO 360 Microbiology
- BIO 360L Mircobiology Lab
- MAT 240 Statistics
- Medicine. Your biochemistry degree provides excellent preparation for the intellectual demands of the medical profession.
- Biotechnology. Some of the nation’s largest and most respected biotechnology companies employ biochemists in a wide range of specialties.
- Agriculture. Biochemists find employment with agricultural industry companies.
- Government. State and federal agencies employ biochemists in many fields.
- Analytical Chemist
- Biomedical Scientist
- Healthcare Scientist, Clinical Biochemistry
- Clinical Research Associate
- Forensic Scientist
- Research Scientist (Life Science)
- Scientific Laboratory Technician
- Genetic Counseling
- Genetic Engineering
- Pharmaceutical Sales
- Research Development
- Patent/Intellectual Property Consulting
- Product Development
- Laboratory Research
- Technical Writing