Cybersecurity and Applied Computer Science
The Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity and Applied Computer Science is the newest addition to the Tillman School of Business. Cybersecurity is a rapidly developing profession, highly in demand from both private and public sector employers. The degree offering will prepare students in cutting edge tactics of preventing cybersecurity breaches by equipping students with skillsets in managing digital data, analytics, cybersecurity tactics, server administration, and advance cybersecurity strategies. Furthermore, the program embraces a practical/applied approach to computer science which also aligns to the foundational aspects of business. This comprehensive approach prepares graduates with skillsets that add value to most any organization.
Students have the opportunity to concentrate in one of two tracks, or both: applied and/or software engineering. The applied track includes coursework in finance, accounting, law, and other business topics. The software engineering track includes coursework in advanced mathematics and physical science, equipping students with the prerequisite knowledge and background needed in areas such as artificial intelligence, data science, 3D graphics, game development, mobile application development, and full-stack development.
Key Program Features
Understand the language of networking technologies
Apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills to detect current issues and mitigate future attacks on an organization’s computer systems and networks.
Assess the cyber threat environment
Design and build networking systems that minimize the risk of cyber attacks.
Demonstrate the skills necessary to protect and defend computing systems and networks from cybersecurity attacks.
Prepare technical documents, presentations, and training sessions to raise the awareness of cybersecurity risks in the workplace.
No less than 10 courses in the program map to professional certifications. These certifications are based on industry best practices and are an important way to gain additional experience and set yourself apart from other applicants.
The program highly encourages candidates to join the Cybersecurity and Gaming League. The league sponsors entry into the National Cyber League (NCL) and associated hacking competitions. Furthermore, the competition is rooted in the best practices and constructs of the Certified Ethical Hacker certification- – a premier certification which is recognized internationally. This certification maps to one of the advanced cybersecurity courses in the program.
- Recognize and address cybersecurity issues that arise from protecting personal data
- Uphold business and governmental reputations
- Foster an environment of cybersecurity security awareness and training of stakeholders
- Address security concerns when working remotely
- Adhere to regulation and compliance
- Improve cybersecurity posture through creating and maintaining trust and credibility
- Prevent and discover potential breaches
- Maintain data via streamlined access controls
- Conduct cybersecurity audits to identify potential gaps, expose weaknesses, and vulnerabilities
- Obtain industry certifications, some of which are required by the US Department of Defense (DOD) IAW DoD Directive 8570.1M and 8140
The following certifications are available to graduates of the Cybersecurity and Applied Computer Science program:
- CompTIA Network +
- CompTIA Security +
- CompTIA Project +
- Amazon Web Services or CompTIA Cloud +
- CompTIA Server +
- CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst +
- SAS Analytics Certification
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) certification
- PCEP (entry level) certification in Python
- PCAP (associate level) certification in Python
- Websecurity Specialist CIW certification
- Websecurity Professional CIW certification
- Information Security Analyst
- Information Security Specialist
- Digital Forensic Examiner
- Security Systems Administrator
- Penetration Tester
- Cybersecurity Manager
- Data Security Administrator
- Digital Security Manager
- Systems Integration Engineer
- Security Engineer