The health and safety of our University of Mount Olive family is our highest priority. Dr. Ed Croom, Interim President, established the COVID-19 task force in April and this group has been meeting weekly to make plans for our campus to return in Fall 2020. Using the most up to date information from government agencies and higher education peers, the task force has been working to develop modified policies and procedures to guide our strategy.
This website is the primary information source for our Fall 2020 plan. Details and announcements will be added as decisions are made throughout the summer. Please check back frequently and stay informed about the role you will play in creating a successful academic year.
Highlighted Campus Updates (UPDATED August 6, 2020):
• Everyone on campus is required to wear a face covering for the Fall 2020 semester. While students will be provided with a COVID-19 resource kit that includes: UMO cloth mask, hand sanitizer, and disposable thermometer; we encourage all students to bring an extra supply of these items to ensure they have enough for the semester.
Students violating this policy will be subject to the following sanction guidelines:
A first report will result in a warning letter. Second report is a letter and a $50.00 fine. Third report will result in a $100.00 fine and possible further sanctions. Fourth report is a $100.00 fine and additional sanctions that may include the immediate removal from campus (classroom and residence halls).
• Check-in procedures will require all new and returning students to check-in at the designated time and location before receiving authorization to attend class. Students may only bring one guest to campus for check-in and that guest will not be permitted in the residence hall.
All students and their guest will receive a temperature check and health questionnaire at the check-in process. Students and their guest that have a fever, other COVID-19 symptoms, or have recently been exposed to a sick person will be prohibited from checking-in and will not be permitted to remain on campus.
New Student Check-In
New student check-in will be on Saturday, August 22 from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM in the Kornegay Arena. Students will receive an email regarding check-in procedures and assigned times. Please monitor your official UMO email for this information.
Returning Student Check-In
Returning student check-in will be on Monday, August 24 from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM in the Kornegay Arena. Students will receive an email regarding check-in procedures and assigned times. Please monitor your official UMO email for this information. If you are unable to check-in during this time, you may do so at the following alternative times:
Tuesday, August 25th – Friday, August 28th from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM in the Pope Wellness Center. Once there, you will complete the health screening process. Students may not enter any campus facility including classrooms or residence halls prior to receiving the health screening. Failure to complete the screening process before entering a campus facility will result in immediate removal from campus.
• All students will need to be prepared to vacate the campus within 48 hours should the University need to modify the schedule after the semester has begun.
• A number of documents have been added to the Health and Wellness section of the COVID-19 Response website. These documents include health guidelines, personal care code, and student code expectations. We encourage you to read each of these documents prior to arriving on campus as they will serve as the guidelines for expectations once arriving on campus.
• The Pope Wellness Center will remain closed for all UMO faculty, staff and Mount Olive Community members through December 2020. In addition, under the revised guidelines issued by the Governor’s Office, the Wellness Center will remain closed until at least September 11, 2020.
• Outside guests will not be permitted to eat in the Alumni Dining Hall through December 2020.
• We strongly encourage you to read through each of the menu items on this page. A number of updates have been made within each section outlining the applicable resources, policies, and expectations for our UMO community.