The Free Will Baptist Historical Collection is a cooperative enterprise of the Convention of Original Free Will Baptists and the University of Mount Olive. Its mission is to preserve the history and to perpetuate the faith, work, and heritage of the Church, which both the Convention and the University represent.
In preserving the history, the goal of the Collection is to acquire, organize, and preserve historical source materials related to Free Will Baptists and related denominations, including but not restricted to: manuscripts, personal papers of denominational personages, published and unpublished writings, minutes, treatises, photographs, pamphlets, bulletins, films, tapes, electronic media, and memorabilia.
In perpetuating the history, faith and work of Free Will Baptists, the Collection provides for and assists in on-site use of its resources for review, study and research; arranges for displays at appropriate times and places; sponsors or provides lectures, seminars and workshops; makes feasible the appropriate reproduction of selected items; and encourages and sponsors research and the writing of papers and publications related to the history, faith, work and heritage of Free Will Baptists and related church bodies.
This repository of over 15,000 items of denominational history, University archives and memorabilia is housed separately in the Free Will Baptist Historical Collection in the library. A majority of these items are cataloged and bibliographic access is available through the online catalog of the Moye Library. The Collection is open to the public for research. Research inquiries will be answered but the staff can provide only limited research responses. Researchers should contact the library before making plans for research visits to assure availability of information and staff assistance.
Free Will Baptist Historical Collection Operating Hours
|Tuesday - Thursday||10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Curator's Hours)
|All other times by appointment or by request at Library Circulation Desk.|
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
For more information, contact Gary Barefoot , curator of the Free Will Baptist Historical Collection. Please consult the Policy for Duplication and Usage for more information about how to obtain copies of items in the Collection.
EARLY INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION:
- Free Will Baptist Theological Seminary
- Free Will Baptist Theological Seminary at Ayden (1898-1925) and Eureka College (1925-1929)
- Listing of Free Will Baptist Theological Seminary and Eureka College Students – Names from available catalogs of both institutions. A complete set of catalogs is not available.
THE UNIVERSITY OF MOUNT OLIVE – A HISTORY IN PICTURES AND WORDS
EXHIBIT FEATURING PICTURES OF EARLY FREE WILL BAPTIST CHURCHES
FREE WILL BAPTIST DIGITIZED MATERIALS
- 96 various items from our FWB Historical Collection (includes church histories, conference minutes, recipe collections, etc.) added to the “Religion in NC Collection” on Internet Archive. NOTE: The title “Free Will Baptist Cape Fear Conference : Minutes, 1935-1954” actually covers years 1955-1974).
- The Free Will Baptist (Volume 64-129 (1949-2011); Issues are not in order).
- Cape Fear Conference Minutes 1855-1974
- Western Conference Minutes 1916-1939
- Life History of Rev. John H. Ballard
- Map of Free Will Baptist Churches
- Search for Church Histories, Photographs, and Information Files
- Moye Library Online Catalog
FREE WILL BAPTIST PUBLICATIONS:
- The Free Will Baptist (Moye Library owns the most complete collection of this publication.)
- The Myrtle July 4, 1868. Vol. 24 No. 7
Equipment and software used to create this project were purchased with funds from an NC ECHO Digitization Starter Grant. This grant was supported in whole by the institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Federal Library Services and Technology Act as administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.