Master of Education: Educational Leadership
The Master of Education: Educational Leadership, delivered 100% online, allows students who already hold a baccalaureate license to gain master licensure while providing an individualized approach to enhance educator’s leadership abilities.
Public education today dictates the need for a new type of school leader – an executive instead of an administrator. No longer are school and district leaders just managing operations, they must be able to create learning organizations that can grow and change quickly to improve performance. The Master of Educational Leadership degree prepares educators who aspire to become school or district leaders. This program will only lead to Principal/Assistant Principal licensure. The 33-hour online MEd degree consists of courses in educational leadership, human resources and finance, technology, curriculum and instruction, and law and ethics followed by two, 14 week internships under the direction of a mentor and a university supervisor. The mission of the program is to prepare innovative, collaborative, effective, and reflective educational leaders who can develop school and district environments that ensure equitable and quality learning opportunities and continual program improvement.
Key Program Features
The MEd in Educational Leadership Program Learning Outcomes are aligned to the North Carolina Standards for School Executives. The North Carolina Standards for School Executives focuses on building a culture of disciplined thought and action that is rooted in the ability to build relationships among all stakeholders to build trust and create a transparent environment that reduces all stakeholders’ sense of vulnerability as they address the challenges for transformational change.
- Our instructors have been school leaders (school superintendents, principals, school district directors, etc.) and share their real-world experience with students.
- The cohort structure of the program generates collegiality and creates a professional network of support for years to come.
The MEd in Educational Leadership is compliant with the North Carolina State Board of Education policies and has been approved by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
MEd students will be eligible for a Principal’s License and employment for school administrative roles including Principal/Assistant Principal.
Candidates will complete two, 14 week internships with 500 hours required under the direction of a mentor and a University supervisor.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. or international institution
- Official transcripts showing conferral of a 4-year bachelor’s equivalent degree are required from degree-granting institutions other than the University of Mount Olive
- 3.0 GPA
- Four years as a licensed professional educator
- Three letters of recommendation from an individual who can attest to the candidate’s academic ability and/or leadership potential. Physical signature required.
- Writing Requirement
- Letter format using 12 point font (e.g. Times New Roman).
- Double spaced text and addressed to the Division of Education
- Essay length: 2-3 pages
- The letter of application must include your personal definition of educational leadership and a description of your career goals and interests in pursuing graduate study.
- GRE or GMAT are not required