UMO Student Complaint Process

Grievance Resolution

The University of Mount Olive provides several means by which student complaints and grievances may be addressed. In all cases, students are advised to put their concerns in writing and carefully document the events that led to the complaint or grievance. To the extent possible, students should seek a resolution of such matters through the institution’s complaint procedure before involving others.

All students attending the University of Mount Olive, including students who reside outside the State of North Carolina, who desire to resolve a complaint, grievance, or concern, are encouraged to follow established procedures outlined in the University of Mount Olive Student Complaint Policy. This policy includes a chart of UMO representatives by office to provide students with the appropriate contact (p. 2) and a list of the complaint process procedure (p. 4).

If you are unsure about the appropriate point of contact you may consult with:

Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs
The Holmes and Lois Murphy Center
630 Henderson Street
Mount Olive, NC 28365

Complaint Processes

Click on the various categories below to expand each section.

The University of Mount Olive is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).

Students have the opportunity to submit complaints to the SACSCOC, the University’s regional accrediting body. In most cases, SACSCOC complaint procedures require that the complainant exhaust all other avenues to address the complaint. Prior to filing a complaint, please review the SACSCOC Complaint Procedures Policy Statement.

The following links provide information on the SACSCOC complaint policy and process

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Telephone: 404-679-4500

SACSCOC Complaint Procedures

If a grievance or complaint cannot be resolved through the University’s publicized process, students may file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice.  You can file a grievance online or by mail:

Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General’s Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001

Telephone for NC Residents: (877) 566-7226
Telephone for Outside of NC: (919) 716-6000
En Español: (919) 716-0058

Students may also file a complaint with the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints Unit.

First, review the NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaint Policy (PDF), print out and complete the NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Form and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
Website: North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
Phone: (919) 962-4558

UMO is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement- North Carolina (SARA-NC) which is the portal for North Carolina. Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NC. Students should follow the SARA-NC Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complaint Form (PDF).

SARA-NC Contact Information:

SARA North Carolina
North Caroline State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Telephone: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
Telephone: (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667

If a student wishes to contact the state portal entities for his or her home state, contact information for state portal directors in each state can be found on the NC-SARA website. State by state contact information for agencies responsible for receiving student consumer complaints can be found online.