BS Elementary Education
The Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education degree program prepares students for a career as a K–6 elementary teacher. Earning this degree serves as a pathway for entering the field of education to lead in children’s mental, emotional and social development, as well as to provide students with a foundation in learning.
At this stage, teachers are responsible for identifying their students’ strengths and weaknesses. Based on those insights, teachers will differentiate content, activities and projects that meet student needs and interests. Other job responsibilities include motivating students, establishing behavioral rules and communicating with parents.
With a bachelor’s degree, teachers will have the knowledge and skill set to follow their passion for teaching and making a lasting impression on their students’ future.
Key Program Features
Engage with foundational and application-based learning materials
Participate in field experiences under the supervision of an appropriately credentialed experienced teacher
Develop professional relationships with public school teachers and schools
Develop digital competencies that support instruction of content standards
The Teacher Education program is based on the North Carolina Professional Teaching Standards and the 21st century knowledge, skills and dispositions embedded therein. The Teacher Education Program provides an integrated academic experience of quality educational programs, a supportive learning environment and individual growth opportunities that promote the total development of the teacher education candidates.
- Lesson plan development to engage diverse learners
- Classroom management and organization
- Teacher leadership
- Societal context of learning
- Educational Technology
- Studies and practices in lesson planning, instructional strategies, and assessment
All teacher candidates are required to complete a student teaching internship, under the supervision of a certified, experienced teacher. In this experience, teacher-candidates will apply their content and pedagogical knowledge in the professional field.
Upon graduation, students may be qualified for a teaching certificate. Specific assessments may be required to attain teaching licensure.
The Braswell Teaching Scholarship, funded by Jessie Dail and Walter Vernon Braswell Scholarship Endowment, provides a scholarship renewable annually up to three years. Scholarship amounts vary.
Professional Studies (31SH):
- EDU 101, 102, 201, 202 Professional Study for Teacher Ed.
- EDU 303, 304 Junior Practicum
- EDU 480 Classroom Management & Organization
- EDU 485 Facilitation of Learning
- EDU 486 Leadership Development
- EDU 487 Societal Context of Schooling
- EDU 493 Senior Practicum
- EDU 499 Seminar/Internship
Education Cognates (47SH)
- ART 115 Design Fund. OR 121 Drawing Fund. OR 122 Painting Fund. OR 132 Graphic Design Fund. OR 142 Photography Fund.
- ENG 255 Creative Writing and Literacy Forms
- ENG 213 Perspectives in World Literature
- ENG 310 Advanced Composition
- ENG 320 Advanced Grammar
- ENG 371 Introduction to Linguistics
- ENG 460 Children’s Literature
- HIS 202 Environ. Hist. Developed Regions OR HIS 203 Environ. Hist. Less Developed Regions
- HIS 485 Perspectives in World History
- MAT 115 Foundations of Numbers & Operations
- MAT 125 Concepts of Probability & Geometry
- PLS 110 American Government
- SCI 360 Inv in Phys & Earth Sci for Ed. Majors
- SCI 360L Inv in Phys & Earth Sci for Ed. Majors
- SCI 365 Inv in Life & Env. Sci for Ed. Majors
- SCI 365L Inv in Life & Env. Sci for Ed. Majors
Related Studies (12SH):
- EDU 100 Orientation to American Education
- EDU 105 Cross-Cultural Communications
- EDU 250 Educational Technology
- EDU 422 Effective Reading Instruction
- EDU 423 Assessing & Eval Reading Problems
Graduates may pursue careers in education as an elementary teacher for K–6 learning environments in private or public schools. This bachelor’s program can also serve as a segue into earning a master’s degree for advanced knowledge, deepened understanding, upward mobility, a competitive edge and potential for higher earnings.