BS Science Education
The Bachelor of Science in Science Education (9-12) degree program is designed to provide future high school teachers with the content knowledge they need to be successful science teachers. Graduates can earn initial teacher licensure. The Bachelor of Science Degree in Science Education (9-12) at the University of Mount Olive will prepare students to be effective teachers in the science classroom and to function as contributing science professionals.
Key Program Features
Attain a deep understanding of science as well as research-based pedagogical practices prior to entering the classroom
Acquire the skills of a science educator, such as research, critical thinking and effective communication
Gain an understanding of the interrelationship between science, mathematics, technology, and society
The Bachelor of Science in Science Education (9-12) provides a comprehensive education through a strong curriculum and high-impact student engagement focused on the scientific inquiry approach.
Graduates will gain pedagogical skills with an emphasis on scientific inquiry and content- area knowledge.
All teacher candidates are required to complete a student teaching internship, under the supervision of a certified, experienced teacher. In this experience, teacher-candidates will apply their content and pedagogical knowledge in the professional field.
Upon graduation, students may be qualified for a teaching certificate. Specific assessments may be required to attain teaching licensure.
The Braswell Teaching Scholarship, funded by Jessie Dail and Walter Vernon Braswell Scholarship Endowment, provides a scholarship renewable annually up to three years. Scholarship amounts vary.
Professional Studies (31SH):
- EDU 101, 102, 201, 202 Professional Study for Teacher Ed.
- EDU 303, 304 Junior Practicum
- EDU 480 Classroom Management & Organization
- EDU 485 Facilitation of Learning
- EDU 486 Leadership Development
- EDU 487 Societal Context of Schooling
- EDU 493 Senior Practicum
- EDU 499 Seminar/Internship
Science Cognates (48SH):
- BIO 121 Principles of Biology II
- BIO 220 Ecology
- BIO 255 Genetics OR BIO 360 Microbiology
- BIO 360L Microbiology Lab OR BIO 121L Biology II
- EES 110 Intro to Environmental Science
- EES 120 Physical Geology
- EES 120L Physical Geology Lab
- CHE 221 General Chemistry I with Lab
- CHE 221 General Chemistry II with Lab
- CHE 310 Environmental Chemistry
- PHY 130 Astronomy with Lab
- PHY 221 General Physics I with Lab
- PHY 222 General Physics II with Lab
- SCI 360/360L Inv. in Physical, Earth Sci. for Ed. Majors
- SCIE 365/365L Inv. in Life and Env. Sci. for Ed. Majors
Related Studies (7SH):
- EDU 100 Orientation to American Education
- EDU 250 Educational Technology
- MAT 255 Calculus I
This Science Education (9-12) degree is for students who are looking forward to a career teaching science to students in grades 9-12. This program also qualifies UMO students for initial teacher licensure. Additional assessment(s) may be required. Some graduates go on to teach or work in nontraditional roles with their science teaching degrees. These careers may include:
- Adult education
- Curriculum coordinator/specialist
- Guides/trainers (museums/institutes)
- Park rangers
- Science writers